Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils

A few weeks ago, Influenster sent me the newly reformulated YSL Mascara Volume Effect Faux Cils to review. Being a huge mascara lover, I was super excited to try. I have heard wonderful things about this brand but paying over $30 for a tube of mascara is something I couldn't justify. So it was nice to be able to try this out complimentary.

check out my thoughts and see my before and after pics after the break!



This mascara is an improved formula of the original that is supposed to never dry out, provide dramatic volume and a faux lash effect and is also enriched with nourishing argan oil.

Check out the before and after of my nearly non existant, super short and blonde lashes with 3 coats on:

before

after
The results are pretty impressive in the before and after pictures. That being said, there are things I do and don't like about this mascara.

Likes:
  • longer, more defined lashes
  • no clumps
  • didn't leave my lashes feeling stiff with mascara on
  • lashes felt soft after removal
  • removes super easily with cleansing oil
  • blackest black color
Dislikes:
  • price
  • the spoolie (details below)
  • this mascara smudged a lot throughout the day. that was disappointing. 

 Back to the spoolie. As you can see in the picture above, it is a huge soft bristle brush. I find spoolies like this hard to reach my lashes down to the lash line without getting it on my lids and it it also diffucult to really reach my little lashes in the corners. I imagine that wouldn't be as big of an issue if you have darker lashes to begin with. I personally prefer rubberized and/or thinner spoolies. The new Roller Lash mascara by Benefit or Tightline by It Cosmetics are good examples of what I like.

I was also sad that this mascara seemed to smudge on me- a lot! More than one day when I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror I saw black mascara marks under my brows and under my lower lash lines.

For a mascara from such a presitge brand and for such a high price point, maybe I set my expectations too high. I was happy I was able to try it out but would not go out and rebuy it.


 Disclaimer: Influenster sent me this product complimentary for testing and review purposes. I receive no  monetary compensation and all reviews and thoughts are my own, honest opinions.

<3 Diane

No comments

Back to Top