Cocoa Brown Scrub & Self Tan Mousse Review

I am so happy Summer is FINALLY here! I am naturally so pale and I wear SPF 365 days a year. It is important for me to protect my skin but come the season, I like to look a bit bronze. It's safe to say self tanner is a Godsend for me. Today I am reviewing the Tough Stuff Body Scrub and 1 Hour Tan Dark Mousse. Read on for more!

Cocoa Brown is the number one selling self tanner range in Ireland and the UK according to their website. Created in 2012, the range of self tanners is supposed to be speedy application, natural color, nice scent, good for sensitive skin, easy to apply and quick to dry.


I really like that this whole line is very affordable- everything is under $20! YAY!

Before getting into the actual review of the products, I MUST address the packaging. I'M OBSESSED!!! It's so beautiful and hot pink and a pleasure on the eyes. So much so I have been keeping them out on the counter instead of putting them away.

Tough Stuff 3 in 1 Body Scrub
What They Say: Cocoa Brown By Marissa Carter TOUGH STUFF 3 in 1 Body Scrub is a no-nonsense scrub for rough areas of the body – perfect for the feet, ankles, knees, elbows and hands. This amazing exfoliating scrub is brilliant to prepare the skin for tanning, removing stubborn old tan and of course, leave your skin silky smooth.

What I Say: This stuff is pure gold! Well actually, the scrub itself is even a beautiful shade of pink. It smells delicious- a sweet floral scent. I used this to exfoliate before using the tanner and it left my skin nice and soft. But here is what really impressed me: I self tanned my legs but not my arms one day and not realizing it I somehow got an odd looking streak of self tan across one of my forearms. Eeeekk! At first I panicked, thinking I was stuck with long sleeves in 80 degree weather until it faded away but I took some of this magic and used it on dry skin- the streak was completely gone!! I forever need them in my cabinet for future self tanning emergencies. If you have particularly sensitive skin your skin may be a little pink after use, mine was, but that went away very shortly.

1 Hour Tan Mousse DARK
What They Say: Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter 1 HOUR TAN MOUSSE DARK is the innovative self-tanning product from Marissa Carter, developed as a direct result of customer demand for a darker version of the best-selling Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter 1 HOUR TAN MOUSSE. The luxurious mousse formulation glides over skin, leaving the signature Cocoa Brown Tahitian Gardenia fragrance without the old-school fake tan pong! Cocoa Brown by Marissa Carter is a light-weight, fast drying, non-sticky mousse giving rapid streak free results. No need to sleep in your tan and ruin your sheets! Accelerating ingredients helps it to develop quickly and depending on how dark you would like to be, can be showered off after.

What I Say: Like the scrub, I really like the scent- a nice light floral. The mousse feels very decadent but also lightweight. When I applied it i dried SUPER QUICK. You have to be fast with this stuff to rub it in evenly before it dries. It's good because you don't feel sticky and are not waiting around before getting dressed, but it can also be difficult if you aren't quick enough. The color developed on my skin and I looked darker, but not unnatural or orange. I love the shade it produced! The longer I left it on the darker  As the days went on, it faded evenly all over and didn't streak or get patchy so I appreciated that too. I believe the color lasted a good 5 days on me which is also quite impressive. My skin didn't feel dry or tight after I applied it either. I have no complaints about the product- just be ready to rub it in quick.

The Self Tan Applicator Mitt is essential to ensure a streak free finish of self tanner and it saves your hands from becoming too discolored! As with all of the packaging, I love that the Cocoa Brown Mitt is hot pink!!

I usually like to use self tanner on my face too but wasn't sure if it was okay to do so. It would be nice to see the brand come out with a face self tanner.

no self tanner at all

abour 4 hours after application
Looking on the site, I notice a moisturizer called "Chocolate Whip" after really enjoying both the scrub and self tanner, I want to try this product too. It supposedly smells like chocolate!

Overall I would buy both products again, and especially that scrub!

You can find Cocoa Brown products in Ricky's NYC stores and on their site by CLICKING HERE


disclaimer: products sent to me for review consideration. no monetary compensation received. all thoughts are my own, honest opinions, as always.

<3 Diane

No comments

Back to Top