Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm Review


I feel like it's been a minute since I reviewed anything by Tarte! They are one of my favorite makeup brands, I've just eased up on spending so much on makeup- but I reach for some of their products daily!! I am eying so much of their new Summer Collection. (I need a full time job man) On May 11th, Tarte will be having an amazing Today's Special Value kit called "Beauty in the Basics" on QVC. In this kit will be the debut of the new Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm that I am reviewing!

Continue on to read more.

Truth be told, the whole Today's Special Value looks amazing- 6 products for under $50! But I didn't need another mascara or liner and I believe I have so many shadow colors from tarte similar to the eye shadow quad in there so I had to pass it. I did however order the kit for my friend Nora in Switzerland so went on Auto Delivery in case new shadow colors are in upcoming shipments! ;) Auto delivery means you get the kit with new colors from QVC every few months.
I found out an ebay seller was selling just the Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm on eBay for around $14 so I jumped on it! The kit also comes with an amazing Bamboo brush you can use to apply the foundation.


The Tarte Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm will be available in the shades Fair, Light, Light/Medium, Tan or Deep. I don't know too much about it yet but here is what InsideQ magazine says:

"Based on customer top-rated Amazonian Clay Full-Coverage Foundation, this tinted smoothing balm blends perfectly into skin, offering full and buildable coverage. Amazonian Clay helps nourish your complexion, while the hyaluronic acid-infused formula offers hydration"


Apologies I used it before taking a pictures. The whole in the middle is because I used an awesome spinning makeup brush with it I will be reviewing soon!
I bought the shade light which is ideal for my skin in winter and right now. Once Summer comes in full swing and/or I wear more self tanner I think the light/medium will be better for me. I'm thrilled this is an ffering in a Today's Special Value.

Swatches (shade LIGHT)
The product is swatched heavy to see color. It can be sheered out and blended in.
flash
no flash
The original Amazonian Clay Foundation is one of my all time favorite foundations ever. It is incredible full coverage, leaves me with a matte finish and long wearing when worn over primer. Plus I love the skin benefits. I was anxious to see how this one compares.

It comes in a cute compact and is described as a balm. I have been unsuccessful with cream foundations similar to this in the past such as Benefit's Some Kind of Gorgeous and Mally's Cream Foundation. I didn't have the high hopes but at the same time Tarte products very rarely disappoint me.

It definitely feels creamy and moisturizing. Having combination, shine prone skin at first this had me a bit skeptical but it dries down to a natural finish- not dewy but not quite as matte as the original.

I have to set this foundation with a powder. If I don't, parts of my face are still too shiny for my liking. I also feel setting it with a powder extends the wear time.

Coverage wise it is buildable. I don't get as full of coverage as I do with the original, but it comes pretty close!

What impressed me the most about this foundation is it feels extremely lightweight on the skin, almost like I am not wearing anything at all! Plus I like how the skincare ingredients inside are treating my skin.

It does wear nicely for a few hours before starting to fade, The original wears on me a little longer.

Something else worth noting is nowhere on the packaging do I see it says it contains SPF. That's a bit of a bummer but I apply sunscreen every day under my makeup anyway so no big deal.

Before. No Makeup.
After.
 My after picture has the Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm in Light applied over a primer and set with the Tarte Amazonian Clay Smooth Operator Pressed Powder (original, translucent color) I also have the Amazonian Clay Concealer in light under my eyes and on blemishes. Both before and after pictures are taken with no flash.

If you are unsure of what Amazonian Clay is, tarte's website describes is as "Nature's Most Perfect Ingredient. Remove surface oil to mattify skin. Nourish & hydrate. Improves the appearance of skin clarity and texture!"

Overall, I like the new Amazonian Clay Smoothing Balm and think it will be lightweight and perfect for the warm months. I can apply it quickly also just using my fingers so I am thinking of using this after beach days when I go to eat and such to have coverage on my face without anything feeling heavy. But if I did have to choose between this and the original, because of the wear time and fuller, more matte finish I would stick to the original.

disclaimer: product purchased with my own money. no monetary compensation received for my review.

<3 Diane





No comments

Back to Top