Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment First Time Use Review & Results

The Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment says it "Restores even seriously damaged hair to normal healthy condition, when used as directed." according to their website. I have heard such great things about this product and actually bought it at Sally Beauty a couple of months ago. Why did I wait so long to try this??? I don't know! Read on for my experience and results.

This is a hard protein treatment so I can't stress enough that after you apply it, you MUST follow up with something moisturizing. I went with the Balancing Moisturizer that was developed by Aphogee to use right after the Protein Treatment and also mixed it with some SheaMoisture Intense Hydration Masque to good measure.

Here is more information about the product from the brand's website:
 "This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. During the process, ApHogee treatment hardens into the hair, dramatic evidence that something special is occurring. For best results a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment can help improve other salon services as well. This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:
    • Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
    • Is over-bleached.
    • Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
    • Breaks when combed or brushed.
    • Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying."
It's not secret my hair is damaged and I am growing it out. I decided to give this product a go after a hair stylist friend suggested it to me.

THE BAD...

Before I get into the good, I will say there are 2 things to be aware of when using this:
1) The protein treatment smells TERRIBLE. Seriously. I'm sorry Aphogee, but this is the very worst hair product I ever smelled in my entire life. It is worse than rotten eggs! I had to hold my breath the smell bothered me so much. But the results were so good, I'll deal with it. THANKFULLY THE SMELL DID NOT LINGER IN MY HAIR. The moisturizer didn't smell bad at all- but a bit chemically.

2) The protein treatment is runny and very sticky. I'm not the neated person in the world so some did get on my skin- and it was sticky like honey. It came off in the shower with body wash, but still worth noting.

WHAT I DID...
Before applying the treatment I shampooed my hair as normal, rinsed it, and then squeezed out any additional water with my curly tee. It is better to apply this on damp as opposed to soaking wet hair.

This treatment must be used with heat to penetrate. I applied it in my hair in small sections and did not clip my hair back, I just sat under my hooded dryer. After 20 minutes only the top part of my hair felt hard (like it was supposed to) so I went and hit the ends (the most damaged parts) with my hand held dryer. It's important not to overmanipulate or comb through the hair when the protein treatment hardens in it. Bad things can happen if you do.

After the treatment hardened in my hair, I went back into the shower and rinsed it thoroughly and just kept rinsing. My hair felt gummy and weird because I didn't apply moisture yet. I once again squeezed out the excess water with my curly tee and then applied the mix of the Aphogee Moisturizer and SheaMoisture Intense Hydration Masque section by section. I left this in my hair a half an hour, maybe even longer. Directions say you only need to leave the moisture in 2 minutes, but my hair is so dry.

Once I rinsed the moisturizing products, my hair felt so very soft. Even when wet, I felt my hair looked more shiny than it has.

Styling wise, I squeezed out the excess water before applying product (I've realized this works better for me then applying product on soaking wet hair.) I just used the SheaMoisture Yucca & Baobab Scalp Spray, some Kerastase Elixir Ultime Oil-Cream and SheaMoisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi Glosser to seal. Applied products in sections, raked them through then air dried.

I didn't scrunch or do anything to encourage curl formation. I mean, I didn't even bother with a gel!






RESULTS
My results were that my hair was incredibly soft. So so so very soft. The worst, bleached damaged ends weren't quite as soft as the rest of my hair, but they also did not feel nearly as rough as they have been feeling. I was shocked since nothing else ever helps them, they just need to be trimmed. I also was thrilled with the shine and how smooth my hair felt after the treatment. You can tell in the pictures my virgin hair is shinier and healthier than the rest. I can't tell a significant amount of breakage decrease yet because truthfully the regimen I am on with products I've been using and supplements I've been taking have helped so significantly with that.


It says not to do this treatment more than once every 6 weeks, so I plan on doing it once every 6 weeks to keep my hair healthy and help with breakage. I think this is a good treatment worth looking into if you have any services done to your hair or suffer from significant damage.



disclaimer: products all purchased by me. no monetary compensation received for my review. all opinions are my own and honest thoughts, as always.

<3 Diane




No comments

Back to Top