SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Line Review

The Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Line from SheaMoisture is one of the brand's newest additions currently available at Target and on SheaMoisture.com! I have been playing with a few items from the line and wanted to share my thoughts and pictures. Read on for more.

 To go with the High Porosity line, there is also a line for Low Porosity hair, too.

The key ingredients in this line are:
  • Mongongo Oil is rich in healthy fats that protect, boost and seal in moisture.
  • Hemp Seed Oil coats damaged hair cuticles to reinforce, strengthen and protect.
  • Baobab Protein contains Vitamins A, C, D, E and F to fortify and strengthen hair.
I know I mentioned this in another blog recently, but I was really excited to see Mongongo Oil in here because Ouidad used to make a Mongongo Oil mix as part of their discontinued Salon Series line, and it was AMAZING. My hair loved it! 
Scent wise, the smell is a bit strong. I can't pinpoint it but it is definitely perfumey. If you are sensitive to fragrance, sniff these products before purchasing. I don't mind the scent, but it isn't my favorite from Shea Moisture.

The one thing I notice with all these products, which I repeat quite a bit is they all have one thing in common: they left my hair so smooth, silky and slick. I mean that in a good way. I feel these products helped the roughness of my damaged hair lay flatter if that makes sense.
High Porosity Co-Wash

From Target.com: "SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Co-Wash is a low-lather cleanser that helps moisturize and detangle even the most porous, coarse and over-processed hair. Perfect for low-retention curls and coils that feel dry, rough and bumpy. Enriched with Mongongo and Hemp Seed Oils, together with certified organic Shea Butter and fortifying Baobab Protein to nourish, smooth and lock in moisture. Irish Moss helps condition hair and enhance shine."

This was a solid co-wash that left my hair feeling clean and also super soft and smooth. It is not heavy but also not very lightweight.  I didn't get any lather from it but didn't really mind since my hair still felt clean.

High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque 
From Target.com: "SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque deeply conditions to transform highly porous, over-processed hair. Enriched with ultra-hydrating Mongongo and Hemp Seed Oils together with certified organic Shea Butter and fortifying Baobab Protein to create a protective cushion over damaged hair fibers that strengthens and improves elasticity, while helping hair hold essential moisture. Irish Moss helps condition hair and enhance shine."

This mask was pretty thick, but not the thickest consistency of a Shea Moisture masque I've ever tried. I had no problem working it through my hair. I used a decent amount- not a whole lot, but not just a little. It made detangling easy and my hair felt very slick and silky after rinsing. More slick than I ever felt it before, my hand just glided down the length of my hair so nicely. I can't wait to use this with my steamer (I'll do a separate post on that)

 High Porosity Moisture-Seal Styling Gel
From Target.com: "SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Styling Gel defines perfect curls and coils while sealing cuticles to block humidity and frizz. Delivers soft hold and healthy shine. Enriched with ultra-hydrating Mongongo and Hemp Seed Oils together with certified organic Shea Butter and fortifying Baobab Protein to strengthen damaged or highly porous hair. Irish Moss helps condition hair and enhance shine."

What an amazing gel! A little goes a long way with this stuff. On wet hair I use a quarter size amount per section for 6 sections total. The gel does not feel sticky, tacky or gross, It does dry with a crunchy cast, but I had no issues at all scrunching the cast out when my hair dried fully. Once I scrunched out the cast, my hair was smooth, soft, shiny, frizz free and defined. It was not stiff at all. My hair felt incredible and also lasted days (up to day 4!). The gel has played nicely with several different leave in conditioners and oil sealers. I also like the fact this gel styler is treating my hair as it makes it look pretty.


High Porosity Moisture-Seal Elixir 

From Target.com: "SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Elixir controls frizz, seals in moisture and boosts shine. Enriched with ultra-rich Mongongo and Hemp Seed Oils and blended with certified organic Shea Butter and fortifying Baobab Protein to leave highly porous hair smooth and lustrous. Irish Moss helps condition hair and enhance shine."

I have been using this product quite a bit- both on wet hair to seal after my leave in and styler and also to add shine and help frizz on days old hair. I REALLY like it to seal my wet hair.  It makes my hair feel significantly smoother than usual and shiny! When used on days old hair, it helps re-hydrate my dry, brittle, damaged ends and tames some frizz. This is a fantastic multi use product. If I had to only get one item from the High Porosity line, I think this would be it.

 For this day 1 hair, I used all the products in this blog and also the Original Moxie Every Day Leave-In Conditioner. I let my hair air dry as usual and clipped the front sections back with Ricky's NYC Creaseless clips to straighten them without heat.






Overall, I really like this line for High Porosity hair. I really feel it made the texture of my hair and manageability so much better! There is also a Shampoo out from the line but I did not buy it since I got the co-wash and didn't think I needed both.

Make sure you subscribe to my blog to see updates with this and more Shea Moisture products! I still have to review the Peace Rose Complex and Frizz Defense lines that recently debuted. Lately I've been using the products from each line for at least 2 weeks before reviewing, unless it is a First Impressions. I also noticed more products in the Rescue + Repair and Superfruit lines out in Ulta that are also on my wishlist to try and review soon as well.

Follow me on Social Media! @dianemary126 on twitter, snapchat and instagram!
 

<3 Diane  



4 comments

  1. OOOh! Very interested to try the gel from this line. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool review I just bought the masque today so Im really excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! So happy I found your page!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top