Three Mattifying Primers for Oily Combo Skin

Primer is a necessity in any makeup routine. They lock in skincare, prep the skin so your complexion products last, and some of them, like all three I will be talking about today, even have skin care ingredients of their own inside! Read on for more.


The three primers I will be talking about are ones that I have been really enjoying lately. They have quite a few similar features. All three primers are cruelty free, mattifying and are made for shine prone, combination to oily skin like mine. All three also go on clear with no tint or color, so they work for all skin tones.



Jouer Cosmetics Anti-Blemish Matte Primer
1 fl oz, $38
From Jouer.com: "This oil free mattifying anti-blemish primer, formulated
with Salicylic Acid, penetrates into skin to help treat existing blemishes, prevent development of new acne, and minimize the appearance of pores. Aloe, Vitamin E, Ginseng & Gingko Biloba Extract help calm redness and reduce inflammation, promoting a shine-free, even complexion.
 Oil Free.  Hypoallergenic.  Paraben Free.  Silicone Free.  Fragrance Free.  Dermatologist tested."

Mattifying AND Anti-Blemish!? Music to my ears! Even though my skincare regimen already targets acne and aging, I like the idea of pimple fighting ingredients extending into my makeup as well. It smells a little medicinal, but not strong or overwhelming at all. It is lightweight, silky and glides on very silicone-like, which is amazing since it is silicone free! It does seem to mattify to an extent for me, but there are days when shine still comes through in spots. If your combo skin kind of mellows out in the dry Winter, this may be the best mattifying option for you. Also while I am on the subject of Jouer and primers, the brand has an eyeshadow primer that is infused with chamomile that is fantastic. It's in a thin click pen which is genius for getting in the corner of your lids and has a skin tone color to even out the eyelids prior to eye shadow. It also helps shadow stay on all day.


It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Primer
1 fl oz, $38
From Sephora.com: "A weightless, oil-free primer that blurs away pores and provides a smooth, matte finish for flawless makeup application. Developed with plastic surgeons, this revolutionary, pore-erasing, antiaging skin perfector blurs the look of pores, fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven texture while hydrating and supporting skin health. Infused with powerful skin-loving ingredients including Moroccan lava clay, purifying charcoal, papaya fruit extract and hydrolyzed collagen—plus exclusive Bye Bye Pores Optical Blurring Technology™—the velvety, lightweight formula glides on effortlessly to neutralize, correct, minimize shine, and create a smooth barrier for airbrushed makeup application. Non-clogging, oil-free, and translucent, it’s also perfect for all skin types and tones.
What it is formulated WITHOUT: Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates"


I'm thrilled IT came out with this primer because their previous primers, though nice, were not mattifying or the best options for my shine prone skin. Bonus points this is in a pump, my favorite kind of form for any makeup, skincare or even hair care. This primer does have silicones in it, but luckily they did not cause me any noticeable break outs (sometimes my skin reacts to silicone, other times, not so much) I really like how this primer makes my face look airbrushed, even before going in with foundations. It gave my face this soft focus, "everything appears to look better than it really is" kind of look. There were days I was in a rush and I used concealer on my undereye area and just this and felt okay with myself. It does mattify beautifully, and makeup worn on top from various brands lasted for hours. The scent reminds me of sunscreen, which is weird since there is no sunscreen in here. I will say this too since I am dying for this product to be made- Oh please IT, come out with CC Cream Matte Version! ;)

100% Pure Mattifying Primer
1 fl oz, $45
From 100percentpure.com: "Silicone free primer infused with skin plumping seaweed collagen makes cosmetic application flawless and last longer; fills in lines for smoothness while keeping excess shine away."

This one is also silicone free, as well as pH balanced, 100% natural and vegan. I picked this up at NYC Beautycon at the 100% Pure booth since I've always been interested in their line and was dying to try some of their makeup (I also got the foundation and 2 lippies which are fantastic as well) This primer also comes in a pump (YAY) and I only need a half a pump of product for my whole face. It is a clear, gel like formula. When I pat it into my skin, it leaves my face feeling ever so silky. Of the three primers which all do mattify, this one mattifies me the most. The key is to let the primer sit on the skin about two minutes before applying more makeup on top. When I've worn it under different brands' foundations it pretty much completely nixed my shine, and the foundations stayed put all day. This also fills in my pores and though mattifying, it makes my skin feel hydrated. It smells very light and fresh.

Overall, all three of these primers did a nice job at providing a base for my complexion products, which mattifying my skin and infusing my face with nice ingredients!

If you know of any other good cruelty free, mattifying makeup primers I should check out- please let me know!

if you like my blog, please subscribe?
follow me on social media (links at right)

*links not affiliated. not a sponsored or endorsed post. no monetary compensation received. all thoughts are my own, honest opinions as always.

<3 Diane







No comments

Back to Top