Hair of the Day: Heavy Handed FAIL

Raise your hand if you are not perfect! :::Raises both hands to practically touch the ceiling::: So I ruined what I believe would have been an EXCELLENT hair day the other day and it was so disappointing. I tried to resurrect it a bit and this blog is going to be all about the honest details.

Have you ever heard people say that their hair always looks amazing when no one is around but then if they have somewhere to go, somehow it looks terrible? That's 110% me. I was going out with friends Saturday and had other friends' Engagement Party Sunday, so I really wanted my hair to look good! So much so, I got ahead of myself and it wound up looking mehhhhhhh.




So here is what I used post shower:
  • Overnight Pre-Poo: Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Overnight Gel-to-Oil Overnight Repair Treatment (my detailed review on this is going to be on naturallycurly sometime hopefully soon)
  • Cleanser: DevaCurl No-Poo Original
  • Conditioner: Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
  • Stylers: Jirano Curl Care Coconut Leave In Conditioner, DevaCurl Wake Maker, ArcAngel, SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Finishing Oil Serum

I applied all styling products as usual- section by section, raking them through and then scrunching at the ends. I plopped and lately I've been leaving my hair in my plop a bit longer- not only while I do my skincare and body regimen, but also while I use my NuFace and Fascia Blaster on my face so about a half an hour extra. I think this has actually helps my hair dry a wee bit faster.

All the above products I've used before, they are some of my favorites and always give me good results.This isn't the part that messed me up. In fact, as my hair was air drying, it was looking so curly and defined and I was excited...

I also love doing the "one-two" combo of Briogeo's Overnight Treatment and then following with their Mask the next day. I do this every other week (rotating with Ouidad's Curl Restoration Therapy Deep Treatment) and it's making my hair manageable, especially my still damaged, in such a need of a trim, ends.Read details about this treatment HERE.

Since it has been so cold, I've been diffusing more with my DevaFuser and DevaDryer. I LOVE this dryer/diffuser combo so again, I know this isn't what messed me up.

You can see here as I was diffusing, my hair was looking quite promising while still wet. I did let it air dry a few hours already before going in with the diffuser:
So what messed me up? My heat protecting creme. I'm not blaming the product itself. I used the Briogeo Rosarco Blow Dry Perfection Heat Protection Creme. This is actually a fantastic heat protector, I use it often on top of the others stylers prior to blow drying. What happened was, when I went to squeeze a little out of the tube, a big glob squirted out! I wasn't going to waste the product so I just thought to myself "oh putting this all in my hair will protect it more, I'll be fine."....nope. nope, nope, NOPE.

Here is right after blow drying, after the screw up. It's not the worst ever, but it doesn't look like fresh, day 1 hair. I

Not wanting to re-wash my hair, especially after hitting it with heat and everything I tried to fix it like this: First, I sprayed a generous amount of dry shampoo (DevaCurl No-Poo Quick Cleanser) all over, especially on my roots. Then, I decided to pineapple with an awesome 80s-esque scrunchy I usually use while sleeping for about a hair hour. I did this because I've notice sometimes after I throw my hair up for a while loosely, when I take it down, it just looks better.
 When my fiance came home from work and saw my mid day pineapple, HE ACTUALLY LIKED IT!! He told me it looks cute and thought I was intentionally styling it that way to go out. LOLs

Here are the final results after trying to fix my heavy handed oooops. Again, it's not my best hair day, but it was a little better than before:

 I did like how my makeup turned out that day! The lipstick is Wander Beauty's lighter side of the Jet Set/Vacay Wanderout duo.

 The next day was my friends' Engagement Party! Part of me considered just re-wetting my hair, but the time and effort that goes into a wash day I didn't want to do it 2 days in a row, to be honest. So I just clipped my hair half-up with some face framing tendrils out. I used a bit of Innersense Organics Finishing Polish to smooth down some of the frizz.
 I wasn't crazy about my hair, but really loved my Lilly Pulitzer dress I got during the After Party Sale and these comfy Navy Boots I got for $14 from JustFab!!!


And as I type this blog, I'm currently sitting with pre-poo treatment in my hair to wash it. The lesson learned? I really have to stop being so heavy handed! I colored and bleached my hair for so many years that I haven't fully realized my virgin hair, though naturally dry and frizzy, just does not need as much product as it did when chemically altered.

I thought it was important to share this "blog" to assure you readers that I am a real human, I have bad hair days (more than I should probably admit at this point), mess ups happen and it's okay. It's all about trial, error and learning from mistakes.


If you like my blog, please subscribe?
follow me on social media (links at right)

<3 Diane

No comments

Back to Top