Hair of the Days 1-4, First Use of Buildup Buster plus more!

I was going to wait until after going to the Devachan Salon for the in salon treatment before trying Buildup Buster at home, but I'm oh so weak and was too excited. So I used it, along with a bunch of other products by several brands for wash day, and this blog turned into a 4 day o(or technically 3?) post! Read on for more!

My detailed review of Buildup Buster, along with the salon treatment review will be on NaturallyCurly.com by the end of February (hopefully)
In case you missed my Buildup Buster Launch Party details (read it here), for a quick recap on what the product is: "Buildup Buster is a Micellar Water Cleansing Serum. You may have heard of this ingredient before as it is used in some skincare products, but DevaCurl is the first to bring this technology to hair care. According to the brand, their product “gently removes buildup from products, hard water, or environmental stressors, while the rejuvenating cleansing serum will bring all curl types back to life!” This is a cleansing product meant to be used once weekly or as needed, replacing your regular shampoo or co-wash for a deeper clean. Like all DevaCurl products, Buildup Buster is sulfate-free, silicone-free and paraben-free. The key ingredient are Micellar water: gently removes buildup without harsh, stripping effects, Abyssinian seed oil: boosts shine and provides added moisture and Jojoba esters: moisturizes and soothes the scalp."

The consistency of Buildup Buster feels like a gel and it has a nice, clean scent to it. It's a bit slippery and easy to distribute. The nozzle was very convenient to target the product on my scalp. I massage it into my scalp and down the lengths of my hair. I actually noticed I was able to detangle a bit with it! That was surprising. I left it on during the duration of my shower then rinsed. My hair felt slippery, soft and clean. Once rinsed I applied the masque combo on top for about a half hour. After I got out of the shower, prior to applying my styling products my hair has a nice shine to it! Even after applying styling products and drying my hair, my hair felt so light, had great shine and bounce and overall looked healthier. I felt it was more manageable as well. My hair felt super soft, even days later. I am excited to see what using this product regularly does for my hair.

DAY 1
I decided to try mixing DevaCurl's Heaven in Hair moisture treatment with Briogeo's Don't Despair, Repair Masque after seeing my friend @HiF3licia use the combo on instagram. I love both deep treatments separately, and never thought to combine them before! I think mixing these two together in the Winter is a particularly good idea since the Heaven in Hair gives the protein enriched DDR some extra moisture. That being said, DDR usually does moisture my hair nicely by itself, too.

A thorough review of all of the new Jane Cater Solution Curls to Go line is coming. I'm absolutely crazy about that Elixir as a sealing oil! Aside from performance, it is one of the best smelling hair products EVER!
Here is What I used for wash day:
  • Pre-Poo: Up North Naturals 8 Oil Blend
  • Cleanser: DevaCurl Buildup Buster
  • Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair mixed with Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Masque
  • Stylers (wet): Jane Carter Solution Curls to Go Untangle Me Leave in, DevaCurl Wave Maker, Ouidad Tress Effects Gel, Jane Carter Solutions Curls to Go Shine On Elixir
  • Stylers: (dry): Briogeo Rosarco Heat Protectant Creme, Diffused with DevaDryer & DevaFuser, more Jane Carter Solution Curls to Go Shine On Elixir, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess(Set Up & Above)
I applied my products the same way as usual. On soaking wet hair, raking each one through section by section and then scrunching. I plopped in my curl ease towel while I did my skin and body care regimen. I then air dried for a few hours. Since my hair takes FOREVER to dry and I had to go out, I reached for my DevaFuser and DevaDryer to diffuse. I used a little bit of the Briogeo Rosarco Heat Protectant Creme before diffusing to help preotect from damage. This creme also adds even more shine to my hair, it's becoming my diffusing must have partner. Then since diffusing sometimes still leaves my hair a bit puffier than I like, I went in with a little bit more of the curl elixir combined with some DevaCurl Beautiful Mess Pomade (aka Set Up & Above) (not pictured) on the ends and lightly through my lengths.

The pictures were taken with no flash, natural lighting. The lighting near my back door when the sun is out is seriously amazing. However, it is natural lighting so you'll notice it doesn't look the same in every picture.
this pic came out overexposed. idk how to fix it & didn't realize til it was too late.
this was taken near my front door instead
The lipstick I am wearing is the Stila Stay All Day in "Bella" I am so excited Stila is now certified Cruelty Free again!!!! I refused to buy their stuff for the longest time since they were sold in China, but now that they're good I plan on picking up a few new items that intrigue me. 




Day 2
Day 2 I woke up and it wasn't terrible,  but it did need fixing. I actually remembered to snap a picture of how my hair looked before fixing it! The night before I was so tired, I just slept on my satin pillowcase with no pineapple, bonnet or anything extra. This is is before fixing. I didn't work out this morning like usual; most of the time it is a lot worse before going in.
before fixing
before fixing

I used my Q-Redew with the Jane Carter Solution Curls to Go Curl Cocktail Conditioning Styling Cream. This combo did a nice job at adding bounce back to my curl, especially the under layers. I didn't love the styling cream scent the way I do the curl elixir from that line, but it is not bad. For whatever reason, the top layer, especially my right side was driving me nuts. I think because I clipped it back while it was still setting to do some makeup, it stretched it out a bit. Also, with the Styling Cream, I think I used too much (the story of my life) Next time I will use a bit less. Between yesterday and now this conditioning styling cream though, I must say my hair feels INCREDIBLE. It feels softer than soft!
playing with my part

 once again lighting went off a bit when I went to take pictures of my sides below"

The lipstick I am wearing for Day 2 is "Pretty in Pink" by Doll 10 Beauty.

Day 3
Day 3 was a Sunday and it was one of those glorious lazy Sunday's where Tom and I quite literally Netflixed and chilled all day. My hair was in a messy bun to stay off my face as I gave it a break from over manipulation and additional products. I also had no makeup on all day.  My hair did however, feel crazy smooth and soft still from the wash.

Day 4
I had another job interview today! Side note: I really hope I get this job. I know I probably should have washed my hair yesterday for this, but I really needed the day to rest. I clipped my hair back with a side part for a nice half up look. I used some Jane Carter Solutions Untangle Me Leave-In Conditioner with some DevaCurl Shine Spray on top to hydrate a bit and tame some frizz. I still can't believe how incredibly soft and silky my hair is feeling!!
 Lip Color is "Diva" by Doll 10 Beauty

 Well that's four days in this wash cycle! I plan on washing again tomorrow.

disclaimer: some products mentioned purchased by me, some sent for review consideration. no monetary compensation received. not an endorsed or sponsored post. all opinions are my own, honest thoughts, as always.

If you like my blog, please subscribe?
Follow me on social media @dianemary126

<3 Diane













No comments

Back to Top