Hair of the Day 1 and 2: First Wash Post DevaCut

This was the first time I washed and styled my hair since my Devacut last week! I can't believe how much better my hair is behaving and how bouncy my curls are! My hair could have been even better if it wasn't for one specific styler. Read on for information and what I used.


If you missed my post about the Devacut, you can read it here.

DAY 1
Here is what I used to wash:
  • Cleanser: Raw Curls Cleansers mix (Wavy Swavy and original. I combined them in one bottle. Why? I don't know, but I did, and it works well for me.)
  • Conditioner: Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Treatment Masque
  • Stylers (soaking wet): DevaCurl Heaven in Hair Treatment as a leave in, Raw Curls Anti-Frizz Spray, gel,  BeKekoa Vanilla Tamanu Oil
  • Stylers (half wet, half dry): DevaCurl Supercream (hairline only), Flexible Hold Hairspray 
In case you are curious, I usually wash my hair twice a week. Once a week (or more if I wash more) I will use a cowash, and then once a week I like to use a regular sulfate free, cleansing shampoo.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Masque and DevaCurl Heaven In Hair are a match made in heaven. I believe it was Hi F3licia who gave my the idea to combine these two treatments, which I love on their own. I let Briogeo's DDR sit on my hair a half hour and rinsed it thoroughly with cold water. Heaven in Hair makes such an amazing leave in conditioner. I like the extra weight it gives my hair, which is extra susceptible to poufing out too much now that it is so humid outside.

I had a brain fart when I was conditioning my hair. I wanted to scrunch in the conditioner like Latoya at Devacurl told me and I completely forgot!

To style, I still used the "Rake and Shake" method I have been doing forever. I need to practice applying product while my hair was flipped upside down and I had my fiance's birthday so I wanted my hair to look good. I apply all the products mentioned under "soaking wet hair" section by section raking them through and then scrunching at the ends. The Vanilla Tamanu oil from BeKekoa smells so good and I love the shine it gives me! I applied one product at a time, layering. Then I just twisted my hair back in my curl ease towel as I did my skin care and body care. Once I took my hair out of the towel, I scrunched a lot more and went in with a mix of a little more gel and oil to further combat frizz. I began air drying.

After 2 hours of air drying or so, my hairline was looking a little extra dry. I used one pump of super cream on the hairline, then bringing the rest of the ends of my hair and it solved that problem. I also went in with DevaCurl's Flexible-Hold Hairspray since Latoya did this at the salon and I loved how my hair turned out. WOW!!! Why have I never used this hairspray on my hair wet before!? It added more shine, hold, and smells absolutely amazing, like lavender!

My hair could have been better and part of the issue is I used up a gel I didn't love. I had one more use left before emptying the bottle (why is finishing up hair products so satisfying?) so I used it and I think this is where my issue lies. It isn't as firm of hold as I like and with the humidity outside, I should have just used a gel that I know works really well for me. It was the Innersense I Create Hold Gel. I had half a bottle left in my stash and figured I may as well use it up. It was also very sticky. I also didn't get great day 2 hair from this.

I do really liked the bounce and definition in my hair. My shape overall looks better too. I needed a trim so badly. The pictures below, my roots are NOT 100% dry. I wish I took more pictures later on once they were, because my curls were overall bouncier and it looked a bit better once I scrunched out more gel cast.
 I love this Lilly Pulitzer dress because it is very forgiving up top in the stomacj and arm area. I was able to eat pizza for Tommie's birthday without worrying!
 
DAY 2
  • Stylers: DevaCurl No-Poo Quick Cleanser, Wen Replenishing Treatment Mist, Supercream/B'Leave In combo.
I slept with my hair in a pineapple and it preserved my curls quite nicely. I did work out and sweat quite a bit, so using the dry shampoo on my scalp was a must. My hair did frizz up and a bit and some curls got wonky from the work out, so I went in section my section first spraying with a little bit of Wen Replenishing Treatment Mist I wanted to use it to re-invigorate the bounce and then in my hand I used a dime size total of Supercream combined with B'leave in (I mixed them in my hand) used "praying hands" to glide down the length and then scrunched per section.

I love B'Leave In so much. I just did a detailed post about it here recently. The B'Leave in adds the strength back while Supercream gives back much needed moisture, and both of them are great for shine!


After applying styling products, I had my hair clipped back for a bit for a makeup blog post that will go live Wednesday. Doing this definitely stretched out my curls and you can see in the below pictures that I took.

There is still something off about my hair, and I certainly have had better hair days. I blame a combo of the gel I didn't like that I used yesterday and the intense workout from today.

 I think I am going to hold back on worrying about using up products in my stash and just concentrate on only using products that work for me and I have successful with for a while. It is getting frustrating to have good hair days suffer just to empty something, I think. I'm torn.


It's funny. People think because I am a hair blogger I should have perfect hair every single day of my life and stuff. That's ridiculous! If I had perfect hair, I wouldn't really need to blog because I wouldn't have to work hard at getting my hair to look halfway decent most of the time. I blog since my hair is extremely dry, frizzy and unmanageable so it is a good way to keep track of what works and doesn't work for me. So spare me the negativity if my hair does not look as good as other days in some of these pictures. I know it. Some people on the internet are so mean and nasty.


<3 Diane




No comments

Back to Top