Hair of the Days: New Styling, Protein Treatment, Humidity and Frizz

I have been applying products on wet hair in the same way forever now, and I'm finally teaching myself how to apply them differently! My hair days the past week or so some have been horrible and some have been really good! I did a protein treatment, which helped. But exercise and humidity equate to frizz. Continue reading for more.

For the longest time I used Ouidad's "Rake and Shake" technique to apply products to my wet hair. This method works wonderfully, but it does take quite a while to do. Since visiting the Devachan Salon a few weeks ago for my Devacut (read about that here) I have been attempting and practicing applying products their way. The biggest difference other than the way products are applied (in section by section VS hair completely upside down) is that this way is a lot quicker for me

With the DevaCurl styling, I actually bring my styling products into the shower so I don't make a mess all over the floor. As soon as the water is turned off, without squeezing anything out of my hair I completely flip my head over. I like to use my fingers to detangle a little bit at this point but I don't think they did that in the salon. I apply my products one at a time (leave in, gel, oil) scrunching, scrunching and then scrunching some more with each product.

This method is a tad tricky at first since I am not sectioning my hair, I want to make sure I coat each and every strand and get all my hair evenly. The first few times I tried this method I didn't use enough product and my hair was too puffy and frizzy. Like anything else new, trial and error is to be expected. So while upside down I smooth the product in the back of my hair, the front, and the sides, and I focus extra on my extra frizzy hairline. Once I apply all my products and scrunch a whole lot, I use my Curl Ease towel and twist my hair up in it off my face while doing my face and body care. (this also was not done at the salon) Once that is all done, I'm flipped back over to take the towel off and I apply a little more gel/oil all over for extra hold and frizz protection. This is especially important in the Summer with humidity. Side note- if you are applying styling products and scrunching in the shower, make sure you rinse the tub well after or it could get so slippery.


DAY 1
Here is what I used for Day 1:
  • Shampoo: Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal & Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Shampoo
  • Conditioner: Ouidad Curl Restoration Therapy with ThermalCare Hot Head Bonnet for heat, sealed with Inahsi Naturals Mango Hemp Restorative Deep Conditioner
  • Stylers (wet): DevaCurl Heaven In Hair (as a leave in), Raw Curls Anti-Frizz Spray, Original Moxie Hold Up Serum/Oasis Gel Mix, Briogeo Rosarco Oil
I simply can't rave enough about Briogeo's Scalp Revival Shampoo enough! It is a clarifying shampoo, so I only use it once in a while, and I always follow up with a deep treatment but it really helps to give extra bounce to my curls by getting them so clean. I have been alternating this and DevaCurl's Buildup Buster for clarifying. Both products are excellent.

The Ouidad Curl Restoration Therapy is a product I talked about on my blog countless times. It is a protein treatment and must be sealed with another conditioner after you use heat on it since it repairs the hair, but does not moisturize. Sealing it with a deep conditioner instead of a regular, rinse out conditioner takes the treatment level up a notch. I did not rinse out the Ouidad before applying the Inahsi on top.

As I work through my product stash to use stuff up, I found a bottle from Original Moxie. This is a mix I combined of their Hold Up Serum and Oasis Gel. These products combined are nice, and I notice curl definition whenever I use them. There are also quite a bit of treatment ingredients inside both of them. Though they work well enough, they haven't given me great hair for days like other gels can lately.  I will not be repurchasing because there is some hold to it, but I really prefer a strong/firm hold gel.

My hair was drying nicely but I got impatient for my roots to dry. My new Dyson dryer I got last week at Ulta (and only paid $1.59 for. Read about that on my instagram if you want) was staring me in the face, so I took some heat protector to get my roots dry. Okay, part of me just also really wanted to play with my new dryer. A better, detailed review of it will come in the future, but probably not until Fall.

I used the Living Proof Restore Revitalizing Spray for the heat protection (it is in my stash so I'm using it up, but I like Briogeo's heat cream better. The LP has alcohol denat in it.) and then went at it with my Dyson. I didn't even use the diffuser since it was just my roots. I will say this: this thing dries hair fast!!! My roots were definitely all dry a lot faster than usual.

My hair line pieces were looking a bit frizzy, as always, so I went in with some DevaCurl Supercream on them and on all my ends for good measure once my hair was dry. You can still see the hairline is a bit frizzier and drier than the rest of my hair in the pictures below. I think I probably should have had Latoya trim off more from them than I did at my Devacut, but I'm happy they are finally reaching below my chin again, so I was not ready to let go.

 DAY 2
Here is what I used:
  • Drybar Dry Shampoo (on scalp), DevaCurl Mister Right, Inahsi Naturals Island Breeze Butter
My Day 2 hair was not as nice as I was hoping for, especially after a good day 1, but it is mainly my fault. I didn't properly line up my wash day with the intensity of my work out and did an uber sweaty cardio workout. Honestly, I probably should have rewashed my hair completely after it. But I used a dry shampoo I had in my stash on my scalp. It's from a brand called Drybar, I think Sephora has them. It's okay- not the best, not the worst. I then sprayed DevaCurl Mister Right refresher section by section and followed with the Inahsi Butter. I also went outside in the humidity before taking these pictures, which was mistake number two. This isn't my worst hair day ever, but I was hoping it was going to be better, as I mentioned.

Something else I realized with the frizz in Day 1 and 2 hair is I recently ran out of Raw Curls Anti-Frizz Spray. I haven't had a chance to get more yet and I think it really made such a big difference on my hair, even more than I thought!!I use it on wet hair after leave in and also as a nice refresher.

DAY 3
I probably should have washed today, but since I'm not doing anything exciting I'm really pushing my wash day. I used the same dry shampoo as Day 2 on my scalp following my work out, applied some pure argan oil for treatment and just clipped the front off my face since I'm not doing anything exciting.


If you like my blog, please subscribe?
Follow me on social media! @dianemary126

disclaimer: not an endorsed or sponsored post. all opinions are my own and honest, as always.

<3 Diane












No comments

Back to Top