The Skincare Making Me Need Less Makeup: Sunday Riley Luna Oil

Slowly but surely throughout the last year or so, I've been adding more and more Sunday Riley products to my skincare regimen. The cruelty free, botanically based and scientifically researched line has done some serious wonders for my complexion. Most recently, I added in the Luna Oil and this truly took my skin to a whole new level. Read on for more.



Now I admit, my skincare regimen is a tad intense, I don't mind using multi steps and applying products if it is going to keep my face looking the best possible. I also love beauty tools such as the Clarisonic, PMD and NuFace and use them quite consistently. I face mask twice a week, also extremely consistently.  My skin is combination, shine and acne prone. I have more break outs now in my early 30s than I did as a teen and it is frustrating. The Sunday Riley U.F.O. Oil and Martian Toner have been excellent at keeping my break outs at bay.

Before I get to my thoughts and review on Luna Oil, I must admit I was secretly hoping not to love it as much as I do. Why? This stuff ain't cheap! But luckily a little does go a very long way, and if you purchase it in sets or wait for the once in a blue moon Sephora sales, you can save a bit on it.  Though it does cost quite a bit of dollars, I wear my skin 365 days a year, so I'm willing to splurge. The results are worth it.
Here is some info on Luna Oil from Sephora.com:
"Good for normal, oily, combination, dry and sensitive skin. A next-generation retinol oil that boosts the look and feel of skin plumpness, while improving the appearance of wrinkles, redness, and pores for visibly younger-looking skin. Formulated without parabens, sulfates and phthalates.
Solutions for Fine lines and wrinkles, Dryness and rough texture, Pores

 Luna works throughout the night to deliver more visibly youthful, luminous, even-toned skin in the morning. Trans-retinoic acid ester (retinol) complex reduces the appearance of pores and wrinkles, while visibly improving the signs of premature aging, including fine lines, uneven texture, age spots, dryness, and dullness. Balanced with blue tansy and German chamomile essential oils—both rich in soothing, blue azulene—the look of redness and sensitivity are visibly balanced for a calm, even-toned complexion. Luna is clinically proven to improve the appearance of fine lines, radiance, and skin smoothness in as little as four weeks, while advanced retinol ester mixed with potent botanicals makes this product the ultimate transformational, soothing, sleeping night oil. "



Everyone over a certain age should be using a retinol. Retinol is a powerhouse for the skin and if you are unfamiliar with the ingredient, I encourage you to do some research on it. I've been using retionols for at least a decade now in one way or another. Some of them are quite harsh, and I like that this one is on the more gentle side.

Luna Oil is such a gorgeous shade of blue in the bottle. It makes me happy to look at (I have a thing for vivid, pretty colors) Once you apply it on your skin, it becomes clear so no need to worry about turning into a Smurf.


I have been using this oil for quite a few months now. I went through a small 5ml size from the "Sunday School Skincare Set" and am now on a 15ml size from the "Power Couple Duo" set. As I mentioned earlier, I like buying the sets because the value is good and I did get these when Sephora did the VIB Rouge 15% off promo back in early Spring.
I use Luna Oil at night. After I apply my cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer and eye cream (told you...intense) and let them sink in for 10 minutes or so, I go in with a few drops of Luna. I GENTLY pat the oil all over my face, even under my eyes! I then let Luna sit for a few minutes and go in with the U.F.O. oil for added acne fighting good measure. The oil absorbs pretty quick and does not feel heavy or sticky on my skin.

So what did I notice? I believe that with it's U.F.O. oil sister, it helps me break out less often. My crow's feet also have lessened. But what really blows me away about this oil is just how much is evened out my skintone, smoothed my texture some and helps with some redness I've had on my cheeks forever. My skin just looks....better! Recently I found myself daring to go outside with little to no complexion makeup on, other than concealer on my dark circles, if even, and being okay with it!!!! This is highly unlike me. Also, when I do apply foundation, I need significantly less product to get the results I am after. Double win!!


I honestly can't rave about Luna Oil enough. It has given me confidence to go outside bare faced and not be super self conscious about it.

These pictures below are all of my face completely makeup free, except for lip gloss. Natural lighting, no flash and no photoshop/edits/etc.
Now if you are wondering why I never mentioned or reviewed the other Sunday Riley products in the kits I mentioned above, it's because I haven't used them yet! I wanted to give the Luna Oil a true shot by itself to see what it can do. By incorporating the oil, and only the oil into my skincare regimen that hasn't changed in a few months, I can easily pinpoint it as the root of any changes. Now that Luna Oil is solid, I will be slowly incorporating more of the products to see how they perform, with Good Genes being the next I use. I hope that makes sense!


disclaimer: products all purchased by me! If Sunday Riley ever sent me a Luna Oil, I would cry pure tears of joy. Not endorsed or sponsored. No monetary compensation received. All opinions are my own and honest thoughts, as always.

 If you like my blog, please subscribe?
Follow me on social media! @dianemary126

<3 Diane















No comments

Back to Top